Monday, January 21, 2008

North Carolina No Longer #1: This Week's AP Top 25

After Saturday's shocking home loss to unranked Maryland, North Carolina dropped to #5 in this week's AP Top 25. Unbeaten Memphis is the new #1 team in America, while similarly unbeaten Kansas is ranked #2. The OTHER college basketball team from Knoxville, Bruce Pearl's Men's Tennessee Volunteers, are ranked #3. Duke and North Carolina round out this week's top 5.

With Memphis ranked #1 and Tennessee ranked #3, the Volunteer State has become the new capitol of college basketball (take that North Carolina and Indiana). Too bad Vol's spring football, football recruiting and the Lady Vols basketball team trump men's college basketball in popularity.

And it's great to see that "class" guys (who run such pristine programs) like Bruce Pearl and John Calipari are sitting atop the college basketball landscape. What's more, with Indiana at #7, it's possible that the Hoosiers could move into the top 5 by next week. Then Calipari, Pearl and Kelvin Sampson, paragons of virtue that they are, would be atop the polls and would, thereby, represent the pinnacle of their profession.

How great would that be for the image of college basketball!?!

This week's AP Top 25:
1. Memphis
2. Kansas
3. Tennessee
4. Duke
5. North Carolina
6. Washington State
7. Indiana
8. UCLA
9. Georgetown
10. Michigan State

11. Wisconsin
12. Texas
13. Pittsburgh
14. Vanderbilt
15. Butler
16. Dayton
17. Mississippi
18. Texas A&M
19. Villanova
20. Stanford
21. Marquette
22. Drake
23. Xavier
24. Arizona State
25. Baylor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The people of Tennessee haven't taken to college basketball because they're backwoods idiots. And as I once said, many of these folks are from the "extra Y chromosome set" ...... come to think of it, maybe the fact that I said that is one reason why I didn't win Tennessee back in 2000.

Oh well, Bush still stole the election. I'm still the real President.

And I'm hungry again. I need chocolate. Mmmmm, chocolate!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Memphis alum, so I'm cheerin' for those boys, I guess. But ain't nothin' that compares to Rocky Top football on a Saturday afternoon in the mountains of East Tennessee (Knoxville).

And as far as Al Gore's not winnin' Tennessee in 2000, hell I can't win a damn primary in ANY damn state -- not even in South Carolina, where I was ahead in the damn polls.

Al Gore may not have won Tennessee, but he did win SOME states. I can't win any. And this is just in the primaries ... we ain't even talkin' 'bout the general election.

But at least I got a hot wife who's 35 years younger than I am. When Al Gore lost in 2000, he had to go home to chubby ol' Tipper.

Man, that's just one let down followed by another. No wonder Al Gore spends so much time in Hollywood. I'm in movies and I star on a television series, but I don't even go out there if I don't have to. But if I was Al Gore, I'd rather be the big man on campus at Hollywood parties (which are filled with slutty, boozed/coked up hot starlets) than be stuck at home, layin' the pipe into Tipper.

That's for damn sure.

Anonymous said...

Man, I've been down the last couple of days. But the indignity of being ranked one slot lower than Dook is just too much to take. If only there were one team separating us. Hell, I'd rather be ranked 6th or 7th than have to look at the poll and see us sitting there at #5, RIGHT BELOW #4 Puke.

It really drives the point home!

And it's kind of humiliating.

To make matters worse, Coach Relationships' team is waaay overrated.

Oh well, I expect the Dookies won't be sitting there, lording over us in the AP Poll once we finally get our shot at them on the court. We'll put such a Titanic beat down on the Pukies that they'll probably just quit, go home, and forfeit the rest of the games in the '08 season -- rather than man up and face us for the second time (and possibly for a third time in the ACC Tournament).

UNC: NCAA Men's Champions: 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, (soon to be) 2008

Anonymous said...

Aw hell, I'm just gonna keep makin' like Eddie Sutton, and drinkin' my troubles away again. That's all I can do right about now.

And it's 4:00am! And I'm already pretty toasted, for the third night in a row.

But not because I've been partying it up on Franklin St.

No, instead I've been sitting in front of this screen with a bottle of Wild Turkey, drowning my sorrows and obsessively reading Inside Carolina and Drive and Dish -- looking for a glimmer of hope ... something to cheer me up ... anything.

Well, at least I'm not as screwed up as Amy Winehouse (www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article710911.ece).

But things are still pretty bleak here in supposed "paradise" (Chapel Hill).

I can't wait til we finally get a shot at Puke!

UNC NCAA Men's Basketball Champions: 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, (soon to be) 2008.

GO HEELS!

Anonymous said...

Damn!

I'm too drunk to type straight.

Here's the link I tried to post:

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article710911.ece



UNC: NCAA Men's Basketball Champions:
1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, (soon to be) 2008.

Go HEELS!