Monday, February 18, 2008

Wake Forest Upsets Duke


Last night, #2 Duke traveled to Winston-Salem to face Wake Forest, in what was supposed to be a relatively easy win for the red hot Blue Devils. Instead, Wake Forest upset Duke 86-73.

In an uncharacteristically sloppy showing by coach Mike Krzyzewski's Devils, Duke committed 22 turnovers and saw all five of its starters foul out of the game.

Early in the season, Wake Forest looked awful. Drive and Dish even made special mention of Wake's dismal showing at Iowa in the Big Ten/ ACC Challenge because both teams appeared to be so inept (Wake did manage to beat Iowa, which looked to be the worst team in major college basketball at the time). After the shocking off-season death of head coach Skip Prosser, the young Demon Deacons struggled to adjust to new coach Dino Gaudio.

But Wake has been hot as of late. They're 14-1 at home. They have talented youngsters in Jeff Teague and James Johnson. And with last night's win, the Demon Deacons may have punched their NCAA Tournament card.

What's more, Wake Forest has an outstanding recruiting class waiting in the wings for next season. When those players arrive and combine with Wake's current young stars, Teague and Johnson, Wake Forest should have the talent to be a legitimate player in the ACC.

And since Wake has found its groove under Gaudio, has turned its season around and is likely headed to the NCAA Tournament, Wake Forest's program will have a strong foundation in place when the vaunted 2008 recruiting class arrives on campus.

Although his coaching tenure didn't start out on the best of terms, Dino Gaudio has clearly established himself as the leader of the Wake Forest basketball program. He's no longer merely the guy who took over in the wake of Skip Prosser's untimely passing. Tonight's win only served to reinforce that. Thus, when the highly regarded 2008 recruiting class arrives on campus in the Fall, Wake Forest will definitely be Dino Gaudio's program.

Wake Forest figures to be one of the top teams in the ACC in 2009.

If Wake Forest basketball were publicly traded, Drive and Dish would issue it a strong "buy" rating.

As for Duke, last night's loss is nothing more than a mere bump in the road. Duke will be fine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord was that great!

After some tough games for the Heels, a Wake upset over the dookees was exactly what the Doctor ordered!

Woohoo!

Take that, Rat Face!

Take that, girly boy Singler and "Angel Eyes."

I just spent the night on Franklin Street partying like it was Fat Tuesday!

This is great!

UNC: NCAA Men's Basketball Champions 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005

Go HEELS!

Anonymous said...

Man, I just woke up after a long night on Franklin St.

Y'all know how I said that I was partying like it was "Fat Tuesday"?

Well, guess what ... I don't know about Fat Tuesday, but this morning I woke up next to a fat chick who I met last night at the Carolina Brewery.

I'm not a big fan of the fatties, but what are you gonna do?

With Dook losing (and after the Heels' rough couple of weeks), I was in a mood to party. I probably took it a tad too far. I got so drunk that I don't even remember what I did for most of the night.

Unfortunately, when you get that drunk, sometimes you wake up and find yourself in bed with a chubbo.

Oh well.

I guess I'll just chalk it up as a slump buster. The Heels got off the schnide, Dook got the rug pulled out from under them by Wake, and I went out and partied like a rock star.

Now I've got a massive headache and a chubby chick in my bed.

But since dook lost, I'm still giddy.

UNC: NCAA Men's Basketball National Champions 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005

Go HEELS!

Anonymous said...

YO!! Joey FcuKiin Carrera don't fcuk no fawkin fat chix, YA DIGGG!!!!!!

I only getz wit foyne azz bitchez, yo. This dikk only goez ta work on tha banginest ho's on Long Island and tha muthafawkin Jersey Shore, yo!!

Fat chix can only dream about thiz dikk, YA DIGG!!!!!

I only fcuk fiyne azz hoez......they gotz ta B at least 10 or 11 on a scale of 1-10 for me to even talk to em, let alone to think about layin' thiz pipe up in em.

Yo, I got deez bitchez addicted ta wut my dikk did, YA DIGG!!!!!!

Yo, check me out BIG PIMPIN in Seaside Heights wit my Great Neck and Jersey Shore boyz:

messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=16058

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
&friendid=31610199

Anonymous said...

You crazy carolina people be crashing into one another. We be cuttin down them nets! Butler.

S.K. said...

Butler Bob,

I really like Butler. A.J. Graves is the quintessential 6'0" small town Indiana guard. His game is just so solid. He plays like a coach's son, but he's got a real scorer's mentality and he's got the swagger of a guy who knows that he's the best player on the court in every game that he plays in.

I love watching this Butler team. But your team doesn't have the size or depth to be able to cut down the nets in April.

On a side note, Mark Buckets and I spent an afternoon playing basketball in Hinkle Field House two years ago.

That gym is seriously old school, but it's easily one of the best venues in college basketball.

If I were a high school player being recruited by Butler, the prospect of playing my home games in such a fantastic gym would be extremely enticing.

S.K. said...

Joey,

I can't believe that you're for real ... but apparently you are.

You might be the single biggest ass hat that I've seen in the last 10 years.

But you and your boyz kind of remind me of some guys who I went to high school with, years ago.

And there were a lot of guys kind of like you and your boyz over at Lockport High School too.

Back in the 90's, the Southwest suburban Guidos didn't rock the crazy blown out hair that you and your boyz do, and they wore Z.Cavaricci instead of Emporio Armani, but the general motif was pretty much the same.

But nobody was waxing their eyebrows and wearing lip gloss back then.

Thanks for the laughs, though.