Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Celtics Win NBA Finals


Last night, the Celtics pummeled the Lakers 131-92 to win the 2008 NBA Finals. So the Celtics are champions again. Everybody at ESPN is practically orgasmic (except for all the Knicks fans who work there). Woo freakin' hoo.

I was actually kind of pulling for the Celtics in the finals because I like their collection of talent and I like the way that they play the game: the Celtics don't make a lot of noise, they just go about their business and win games.

But I have little tolerance for Celtics fans or for the obnoxious windbags who populate the Boston/Northeastern sports media.

So although I have a certain level of admiration for the actual 2008 Boston Celtics team, the media's season long case of Celtic mania (particularly on the part of ESPN) rubbed me the wrong way (and was the basis for my indifference toward a team that I would have otherwise enjoyed watching).

The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy and Bob Ryan are entrenched sports writers who embody the arrogance and parochialism that is typifies the Boston/Northeastern media.

Here's Dan Shaughnessy's take on last night's Celtics championship.

No comments: