Monday, March 17, 2008

Black Monday

By Mark Buckets

While it might not be as publicized or dramatic as the NFL's "Black Monday," a couple of NCAA basketball programs severed ties with head coaches in college hoops's version of the "Day of the Dead."

The day after conference tournaments end and the brackets are announced, the proverbial axe falls on some sideline generals.

Today was no exception.

Toledo parted ways with coach Stan Joplin, who was expected to come into Toledo and recruit as he had as an assistant at Michigan State. Though Joplin gathered some, he was never able to push them over the top. I would not be surprised to see him back on the bench with Coach Izzo in the years to come.

Despite all of this, Coach "Jop" was named MAC Coach of the year just a season ago.

Coach Neil Dougherty was canned at Texas Christian. This is a classic case of limited production with a limited budget.

TCU has had success in the past - recall the high flying Billy Tubbs teams of the mid to late 90's - but their facilities have always been archaic and the lack of administrative support has hurt this program.


**Mark Buckets adds**

I guess Black Monday is a two-day event.

Today, Idaho bought out Head Coach George Pfeifer after two unsuccessful years.

It all depends on how you define success (12-48 record during his stint) at Idaho, since they are easily the worst program in the Western Athletic Conference.

As has been stated here before - facilities, support from the right people and general fan awareness trump all - and Idaho has none of these key components.

Athletic Director Rob Spear has a quick trigger finger - he let go of football coach Tom Cable after only three years on the job earlier this decade - along with Nick Holt, who coached only two seasons.

Memo to Mr.Spear: Give these people a fighting chance before you take their jobs away. The people of Moscow, Idaho would appreciate it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aay man, why you gotta call it BLACK monday? Why is BLACK always bad and White is alwys good?

Tha damn "bad guys" always wore black hats in the old racist cowboy movies, when the "good guys" were always wearin' white hats. But your supposed "good guys" was responsible for the innocent killin' of the american indians. John Wayne alwyas killin' indians and hes a supposed muthafu**in "good guy?"

******, please.

Anonymous said...

Black Monday is a holiday for me and for my kind, just like Halloween is. Nothing is more morosely sublime than the "Day of the Dead." And even though I'm not Mexican, I dig el dia de los muertos. A lot.

The stench of death and decomposition ignites passions from within my dark soul that haven't seen the light of day since the 1470's (when I used to hang with Vlad "the Impaler" Dracul, back in his castle in Wallachia).

The sensation of fresh blood entering my mouth, tickling my tongue and passing down my throat sends tingles down my spine. The taste of freshly drawn blood is the lifeblood of my quest for immortality. It sends me into a higher state of intoxication than slamming 15 Yeager bombs would, a higher state of consciousness than eating a handful of psilocybin 'shrooms, or drinking a pint of ayahuasca would (and believe me, I'm no stranger to those mind expanding hallucinogens).

Right now, I'm painting my nails black, putting on my black eyeliner, powdering my face white and thirsting for fresh human blood. Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi is Dead" is playing in the background and Orgy's remake of New Order's "Blue Monday" is coming up next. And I'm preparing to go out into the night.

I don't really like your website because I hate basketball and I hate sports. But since I go to IU, I sort of root for the Hoosiers.

Go Hoosiers!

S.K. said...

Mark,

When I saw your headline, "Black Monday," I thought you were referring to today's Fed assisted buyout of Bear Stearns by J.P. Morgan Chase, and the subsequent precipitous drop of the world's major financial indexes.

When the Dow Jones plummeted 150 points this morning, the financial media started calling today "Black Monday."

And it wasn't just the American market. When the Bombay Stock Exchange Sensex crashed, the Indian press also called today "Black Monday." Check it out:

saharasamay.com/samayhtml/Articles.aspx?NewsId=96398

But screw Bear Stearns and the falling dollar, Toledo's decision to make a coaching change is BIG NEWS. Add to that TCU's upheaval, and It's easy to see why Wall St. was so jittery today.

I'm sure that the large brokerage firms and the hedge funds will be watching the upcoming coaching changes like hawks, ready to jump on board a large scale sell-off at the slightest inkling that Kennesaw State might be planning to fire their basketball coach.

Anonymous said...

It be Black Monday, Tuesday, etc. for any team facin Butler.

WE BE CUTTIN DOWN THEM NETS!!!!!